Fast and easy pasta main course with salmon. This is a great one-bowl meal or it can be a centerpiece for a full dinner.
You will need
- 1 salmon fillet
- 1lb penne, rotini, farfalle or other bite-sized pasta shapes
- Pesto, either a container from the store or home-made
- Grating cheese
- Roast a salmon fillet on the grill or oven bake it at 400° until done. Pull the ribs and pinbones. Feed the skin to the dog, cat or kids. Flake the meat.
- Cook the pasta until al dente. Reserve a tablespoon of cooking water.
- Combine the cooked pasta with 8 oz of basil pesto. Add the reserved cooking water else things are a little dry.
- Add the flaked salmon and mix it all together. Add a little extra olive oil if needed for flavor or to loosen things up.
- Grate some parmesan or other hard cheese on top and it's dinner time. Apologies to those shocked by the mixing dairy and seafood.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Tabasco and other hot sauces go well with this dish.
- Big handful of fresh basil - Fred Meyer sells a large tub of basil that's perfect.
- 2 to 10 garlic sections, to taste, peeled.
- 4-5 oz Parmesan or other hard, salted cheese.
- 1 oz pine or other nuts, toasted. Walnuts work well.
- Olive oil
Toss the garlic in a food processor and chop it up. Add the basil and some olive oil. Mix it again. Add the cheese and nuts. Mix some more. Add more olive oil as needed to loosen the mixture up.